In this developing age, we see a lot of people having anxiety and depression. Here we will discuss the easiest and most appropriate ways how to treat anxiety and depression without medication.
Anxiety and Depression:
Before discussing the ways to treat anxiety and depression it is important to have basic knowledge of what are anxiety and depression.
Let’s have a brief introduction about anxiety and depression:
What do you mean by anxiety?
In simple words, anxiety is the normal reaction to stress.
Sometimes anxiety becomes helpful for us because we become alert of the upcoming danger but in most cases, the anxiety does not become fruitful either anxiety itself causes more problems like due to anxiety mood we can not do proper routine work, and so on.
What do you mean by depression?
It is a mood disorder that causes the person to remain a constant feeling of sadness.
It is very common all over the world.
There are different causes of depression. Like abnormalities in brain chemical levels, genetically transferred, some life events like the death of a loved one, termination of a job, being jobless, some medication, and use of drugs and alcohol.
what is the difference between anxiety and depression?
Anxiety and depression are two different mental health conditions, but they can sometimes occur together.
Anxiety is a feeling of unease, such as worry or fear, that can be mild or severe. Everyone feels anxious at some point in their life, but for some people, anxiety can be a chronic condition. Anxiety can cause physical symptoms such as a racing heart, difficulty breathing, and feeling tense or dizzy.
Depression is a mood disorder that causes persistent feelings of sadness and hopelessness. It can also cause physical symptoms such as changes in appetite, difficulty sleeping, and lack of energy. Depression can interfere with daily life and can sometimes be severe enough to be disabling.
How you can say a person is depressed?
Here are some signs and symptoms of a person’s being depressed:
- Very sad feeling, worried or hopeless,
- Being irritated very easily,
- Not enjoying to any things,
- Difficulty in concentration.
- Thinking about killing himself.
- Some physical problems may also experience with above mention signs and symptoms like headache, stomach, or sexual dysfunction.
How are anxiety and depression treated?
Now let’s discuss how to handle anxiety and depression without medications.
If you know the exact cause of depression then you should try to encourage yourself and come back from the situation. Like if the depression is due to any loved death or job or anything that may cause depression.
Following are the ways to move from such situations.
Self-Help Daily exercise:
Exercise helps your brain to think forward and helps you to think new not the old which stuck you in sad situations.
Getting Enough Sleep:
Maybe due to depression you may feel difficulty falling asleep but try to sleep. Once your sleep becomes normal then the fatigue of your body will overcome and you can feel happy.
Have a Self-care practice:
Following are some tips you can easily do to reduce stress.
Going outside for a walk,
Practicing a hobby,
Minimize Screen Time and Phone Use:
There is something that we can avoid in our daily life. A number of studies prove that spend of time in front of a screen causes stress in both adults and kids. So try to reduce the excessive use of phones, tablets, and computers. If it is your need like you have to work on a PC or Laptop most of your time then you have to use computer glasses. It is a one-time investment and it will make you feel free from anxiety and eye problem.
Evaluate the cause:
It is better to eradicate (remove) the exact cause of anxiety before practicing any of the tips below. Try to find out the exact cause of the stress and anxiety. If there is anything that is causing the anxiety then try to find the solution to the cause. But if you don’t think there is anything that is causing anxiety then you should follow the tips below.
Spend time with friends and family:
Humans are not made to live alone. So when they spend their time in loneliness they become depressed. Spend your time with your friends and family it will be helpful in reducing stress.
Use of Supplements:
There are a lot of vitamins and minerals that play an important role in your body’s stress regulation. When such supplements decrease to the normal level they may cause mood changes. For example, Vitamin B1 has often known as an anti-stress vitamin. For that, a study in 20214 showed taking vitamin B had a lot of positive impact on stress. Some foods which contain vitamin B are beans, fish, and yogurt.
Take Stress-relieving foods:
- Following are some foods and beverages which help in reducing stress.
- Sweet potatoes,
- Dark chocolate,
- Green tea,
Reduce caffeine intake:
Caffeine is a chemical that is found in energy drinks, Cacao(chocolate), soda, and black tea. Excessive consumption of these causes increased feelings of anxiety and depression. so
if you are habitual of the above-mentioned drinks then try to reduce their intake.
Spend Time Outside:
Move outside from your room and feels the beauty of nature. In your mind there should be one thing, time will pass, and never the same situation will remain with anyone, so depressing or feeling a lot about a situation is not the solution to anxiety and stress.
After following the above-mentioned tips if you still facing experiencing stress and anxiety then it is better once take an appointment with a specialist (psychologist).
Following are some more tips you can follow to reduce anxiety and depression.
- Take some time to unwind and relax.
- Exercise with deep breathing.
- Make friends with others by participating in social events or support groups.
- Try maintaining a journal or writing as a way to express yourself.
- Take some time off from the news and social media
- Practice being grateful and thinking positively.
- Spend some time with nature by going outside.
- Try yoga or other calming exercises
- Take up a fun activity or interest.
- get the aid of a therapist or counselor.
- Utilise CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy)
- Studying and combating negative beliefs
- Learn to understand and give different kinds of therapy a try.
- Establish limits and engage in self-care.
- Learn how to handle stress
- Create an atmosphere of peace by using aromatherapy.
- Train your muscles to relax gradually.
- Obtain medical attention for any underlying illnesses.
- For seasonal depression (SAD), consider light therapy.
- For addiction or substance abuse, seek therapy.
- Practice apologizing and accepting others.
- Utilize relaxing techniques like visualization by learning them.
- Play recordings of guided meditations or hypnosis.
- Become more adept at time management.
- Maintain decent sleeping habits.
- For relationship problems, get assistance.
- When under financial difficulties, seek assistance.
- If you’re experiencing stress at work, get support.
- If you’re experiencing academic stress, get support.
- For legal stress, seek assistance.
- Learn to forgive.
- Be compassionate with yourself
- Set reasonable goals for yourself.
- Acquire the ability to control your rage
- Learn to control your guilt and control your humiliation.
- Learn to control your jealousy and your enmity.
- Understand how to control your resentment
- Learn how to deal with disappointment
- Understand how to deal with grief
- Learn to control your hopelessness
The summary of the above guidelines is that first of all you need to find the exact cause of the anxiety and depression then you should think about it whether taking tension or depression is the solution to the problem, if not then you should enjoy life which is very short.
Taking tension is not the solution to any problem so live life happily and live it for yourself. Life is too short to make everyone happy with us so you should give yourself the first priority and then think about others.
I am not saying that you should not think about others but giving yourself the first priority will keep us free from anxiety and depression and you know if we will become free from these two things then our mind will work properly and we can help others easily.
These are all for today. If you like the post and if the post become helpful for you then please leave a comment, your one comment gives me the energy to write more.
Thanks for reading till end.